Search 1343 mission trips from 95 mission organizations
Africa - Medical lab technician in Gambia
What the Mission Trip Will Be Like
LAB TECHNICIAN Location: Sibanor Clinic In the past we have been the only institution who trained Gambians and we would need somebody to reestablish that training course. However even to have somebody stepping in for a short time (6 months) to do cross matching, simple tests like HB, WBC etc and Malaria smears would help us to manage in the upcoming rainyseason.
SIBANOR Health Centre is the largest of the WEC medical projects. In 2002 over 42,000 out-patients were seen at Sibanor and there were nearly 2,650 admissions to the 38-bed in-patient facility. Apart from general out-patient clinics there are weekly antenatal and infant welfare clinics. There are regular visits from a government specialist eye care nurse, who does cataract surgery. The main causes for in-patient admission are malaria, sepsis, respiratory infections, malnutrition, anemia and obstetric and gynecological problems. We are also seeing increasing numbers of patients with HIV/AIDS. There is no general surgery available at Sibanor. The busiest time of year in the health centre is around the rainy season (July to October), when heavily pregnant ladies spill out of the local buses and literally run to gain a place in the ever-extending waiting hall queue. During the dry season it can be much quieter, and this enables us to run in-service training seminars for our nursing staff and to tackle some of the many administrative tasks involved in running a small hospital.
Field Web site: http://www.wec.gm/
Relation of Opportunity to National Church and/or Long-term Goals
Participant Information, Recommendations, Requirements
College, Adult, and Seniors
Eligible to Go
Individuals and Married Couples
Skills necessary to do the job.
Mission Trip Offered By WEC International
Phone: 888-646-6202 x6621
WEC International is an international (members from 55+ nationalities), interdenominational mission agency. WEC is one of the ten largest church planting mission agencies in the world. WEC endeavours to bring the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ to the remaining unevangelized peoples with the utmost urgency. WECers plant churches in many countries around the world with locations in Africa, Asia, North Africa, Central Asia, Europe, Latin America, Middle East and South Pacific. To find out more about WEC International in the USA visit www.wec-usa.org WEC USA has 3 short term programs: Discovery (individuals or teams that go out up to 3 months; WEC Trek (individuals that go from 3 months - 12 months) and WEC Core (individuals that go for 2 years). If you are looking to apply from another country please check wectrek.org for the sending base in your country.
Inquire about this Mission Trip
Mission Trip Details
- Western Africa
- Start date
- Customizable: Jan-Dec 2019
- 6 months to 1 year
Demographics of People Being Ministered To
- people with medical needs
- People Group(s)
- Mandinka, Wolof, Jola, Fula
- Funds needed
- *see notes below or inquire for details
- Costs of WEC Trek trips are not fixed due to the flexibility we offer. Costs will depend on where you want to go, how long you want to stay and airfare costs.
Training and Debriefing
- Pre-field Training
- Post-field Debrief
- Pre-Field Training through activities and reading guided by a pre-field manual followed by a 1 week orientation training at the WEC HQ near Philadelphia, PA. Debriefing for 3 days immediately on return of the trip at the WEC HQ.
- How to apply
- Send an inquiry for details on the application process for this mission trip.
- More information about WEC Trek, the short-term ministry of WEC International,can be found on our web page www.wectrek.org Click on the Trek program closest to your location. Other opportunities in the 10/40 window, not listed here, are also available on our web page.