Whether you are serving in your home country or abroad you are most likely stepping into a community that is culturally different the neighborhood you call home. God made a diverse world with thousands of different people groups all crafted in his image and loved by Him. Take time to learn as much as you can about the culture, traditions and predominate religion where you will be serving. It’s important to honor the cultural you will be serving in and identify things that you have in common with one another.
- Cross Cultural Awareness During Your Mission Trip – Four basic principles from which to start any cross-cultural relationship as well as a few specific insights for Mexican culture.
- 9 Ways to be Culturally Prepared for Your Mission Trip – Brushing up on these cultural basics will help ensure that you honor and not offend.
- The Best Sites for Learning about the Worlds Different Cultures – This is a huge list with all kinds of resources and different unique ways to look at and learn about culture from pictures to videos, to visual pdf’s this is the treasure trove.
- Beyond Welcome Home: 10 Things That you Need to Know About Re-entry – An often overlooked yet very important part of crossing cultures is knowing what to expect and how to transition well when returning from a mission trip to your home culture.
- Foreign to Familiar: A Guide to Understanding Hot- and Cold-Climate Cultures By: Sarah A. Lanier. In this quick read, Lanier provides a practical introduction to understanding cultures through the categories of “hot-climate” (relationship-oriented) and “cold-climate” (task-oriented) cultures.
- Culture Matters: The Peace Corps Cross-Cultural Workbook This includes some really great definitions and exercises that could be pulled out and done in a group to wrestle with the ideas of culture before, during and after visiting another country.
- Understanding Our Buddhist Friends and Neighbors 29 min.
- Reaching Out to Indigenous Communities 41 min.
- 3 Principals for Engaging Secular Youth Culture 31 min.
- Ministering to Those from Honor Shame Cultures 29 min.
- Breaking Down Cultural Walls to Reach Muslims 46 min.
- 20 questions to help you culturally prepare for your mission trip. Take this survey before you travel internationally and learn how to explore new cultures like a seasoned missionary.
- What Not to do on a Mission Trip – This video provides a good laugh and a great conversation starter about culture.
- Joshua Project – Joshua Project is a research initiative seeking to highlight the ethnic people groups of the world with the fewest followers of Christ. Accurate, updated ethnic people group information is critical for understanding and completing the Great Commission.
- Country Culture Guides: Available for 50+ different countries. Look up the country or countries you will be visiting and learn about the language, culture, customs and etiquette.
Know of other helpful CULTURE resources that mission trip goers would benefit from? Send your ideas to: [email protected]