Search 2144 mission trips from 115 mission organizations
Moose Factory (Ontario)
Mission to the World
Canada, Northern America
July 19 - 25, 2015
Lasts between 1 week to 2 weeks
Native American Ministry, Service Projects & Helps, VBS/Bible Clubs, and Visitation & Encouragement
Total : $470 (US)
Includes: Lodging and Meals
If you would like an adventure in the great north of Canada, then this project is for you!Inquire About The Trip
What the Mission Trip Will Be Like
Moose Factory, an island in Ontario, is mainly inhabited by indigenous Cree people. It is divided into three areas: the Reserve (which belongs to the Mushkegowuk (Swampy) Cree); a second area (which belongs to the MoCreebec Cree who migrated from Quebec); and a third area which is federal land and the site of a hospital and housing for the hospital staff. The population is about 2,000 with approximately 1,200 on the reserve.
Teams serve with the Cree Gospel Chapel, an indigenous Cree church. The elders of the Cree Gospel Chapel have specifically asked for help in combating a crisis of suicides, and attempted suicides, in Moose Factory and Moosonee. Our mission is to encourage the Cree believers and partner with them as they seek to reach their whole island with the gospel of Jesus Christ. Opportunities include construction, VBS, visitation, evangelism, and sports ministry.
Teams stay in teacher’s homes which are vacant for the summer. Sleeping bags and air mattresses are required. Teams prepare their own breakfast (groceries provided). Lunch and dinner are provided at the Cree Gospel Chapel.
Relation of Opportunity to National Church and/or Long-term Goals
Teams serve with the Cree Gospel Chapel, an indigenous Cree church.
Participant Information, Recommendations, Requirements
Sr. High, College, Adult, and Seniors
Eligible to Go
Individuals, Groups [max size 40], and Married Couples
Although English is the main language spoken on the island, Cree and French are commonly used among the people.
Passport is required for travel to Canada.
Mission Trip Offered By Mission to the World
Phone: 678-823-0004 x2311
Mission to the World is a worldwide missional community, and through our love for the gospel of grace, we collaborate in transformative church-planting and renewal movements. We have the joy and privilege to be involved in over 80 nations, with some 640 long-term missionaries laboring in partnership with almost twice that number of international colleagues, stateside churches and national staff.
Inquire about this Mission Trip
Mission Trip Details
- Northern America
- Moose Factory is located north of Toronto in the Moose River, approximately 11 miles from the southern tip of James Bay. Teams will fly, or take a train (Polar Bear Express), from Toronto to the town of Moosonee, then take a water taxi over to the island. Passports are required.
- July 19 - 25, 2015
- 1 week to 2 weeks
Demographics of People Being Ministered To
- Native American - children, youth, adults, elderly
- People Group(s)
- First Nations - Cree
- Churches on the island include the Pentecostal Church, the Anglican Church, and Cree Gospel Chapel. Cree Gospel Chapel has a strong Christian influence among the people of the island. Like many Native American people, some Cree are still known to practice their own native beliefs and/or mix them with Christian beliefs.
- Funds needed
- Total : $470 (US)
- Included in Cost
- Lodging and Meals
- Project cost does not include travel.
Training and Debriefing
- Pre-field Training
- Post-field Debrief
- How to apply
- Send an inquiry for details on the application process for this mission trip.
- Application Deadline
- July 31, 2015
- This project fills up fast with returning teams. Max. for the week is 40.