Menu
full details on short-term mission trips (1wk to 3yrs)
DISCUSSION 
FAQFAQ SearchSearch ProfileProfile Log inLog in RegisterRegister      

« View previous topic | View next topic »
Russell Korets

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 2:43 pm Post subject: Why are you curly? Reply with quote

Last summer, I went on a short term mission trip to Ukraine. I visited one chruch, and I had the opportunity to preach, and God really blessed the service. After the service, one old grandpa came up to me, and started to prophecy to me that I am no good, and that God was not going to bless me, only because I had curly hair. It was a very traditional church, and they believe that you are not allowed to curl your hair. Well, I don't curl my hair, and I told him that. I said, "God gave me curly hair, ever since I was young." After I told him that, he ran away from me. That is just one of the many cool experiences I had in Ukraine.
Peter Armstrong

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 4:42 pm Post subject: RE: Why are you curly? Reply with quote

I enjoyed your post.

My wife and I are interested in going to Ukraine as missionaries. Are there other cultural tidbits you can share?

Sincerely,

Peter

P.S. I am impressed, you didn't say "the Ukraine".
David Armstrong

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2001 6:17 pm Post subject: Love those curly locks! Reply with quote

Hey - we had the same weirdness in Guatemala! Curly hair was sin in the eyes of many Christian folks and the poor evangelists and pastors who had naturally curly hair suffered for it.

It always makes me stop and think, do I criticize others for something they have no control over, for things that are part of their personal cultural, yet I equate with godliness or lack thereof?
Tim Heaton

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 3:20 pm Post subject: RE: Why are you curly? Reply with quote

That is a funny story. lol : ) I feel sorry for the grandpa though. I wonder how that kind of thing applies to cultures that are fragmenting, like here in the US? So many times we see people that are trying to be "cool" in their "cultural?" circle of friends; how often is it simply rebellion and they don't realize it? How often do they truly not know, and are simply trying to fit in without knowing what they are doing? How often do I sit back and say, " You are rebelling against your parents, and teachers. You are wrong, and you must change!!!" Do these students or other "sub-cultures" realize what is going on, or am I in the dark & simply thinking that I know what is going on?
Good talking point!!!
Rachel

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 8:53 pm Post subject: Re: Love those curly locks! Reply with quote

Since September 11th, American citizens have developed a hate for afgans and other middle-eastern people. I know that there are terrorists over there but not all are. There are many over there that love America and wished they could be living in this country. I have compassion toward them and I know that they had no choice where to be born. I will always hold the afgan civilians in my heart. For they need love and shelter from man and God in this time of need.
pasha

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:04 pm Post subject: Re: Why are you curly? Reply with quote

Russell i like curly hair of white people
irina7

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:10 pm Post subject: Re: Why are you curly? Reply with quote

It is sad the way some people just dont realize that God created people with curly hair too. Thats a funny story Russell, but it is also sad. Alot of people with curly hair straighten it to get rid of the curls. Why dont the old grandpas and grandmas not notice them. They obviously notice the people who have naturally curly hair.