Menu
full details on short-term mission trips (1wk to 3yrs)
DISCUSSION 
FAQFAQ SearchSearch ProfileProfile Log inLog in RegisterRegister      

balanced
« View previous topic | View next topic »
JeN

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:47 am Post subject: please help me! Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
Im Jen, im 16 and live in England. I go to a FANTASTIC church with a huge passion for youth and students. many of my friends are 20-27 and have been on missions to Albania and Nepal together before.
The problem is that I have been asked to go with them. I really feel its the right thing for me and 2 of my friends the same age as me have been asked if they want to go aswell.Im all for it and am ready to fly off without hesitation.
Then comes my parents. They are not christians although my dad believes but doesnt react on the same level as me. My mum is a typical worrier and hates the idea of me going.My dad isnt too keep either but is willing to have a open mind during disscussions with the team leaders before making up his mind.
I just wonderd if any of you has been in a similar situation as me and could give me any advice on persuading my parents without pushing jesus in their faces and sounding patronising.
also I would appreciate any prayers you can fit in for me.(I know its alot to ask when you dont even know me,and I understand if you dont want to pray 4 me!)

any feedback would be so cool and especially from teamleaders or people who know what im in at the moment. thanks again!

God Bless!
jen x
Pawl

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:27 pm Post subject: Re: please help me! Reply with quote

Jen X:

See here

http://www.calebproject.org/store/product_info.php?cPath=5_43&products_id=2188

for a helpful brochure just on this topic! I wish this information was online, but they are hoping at this website that you'll buy a bunch of the brochures.

My advice, other than find one of these pamplets, is to pray. God seems to have led you into an opportunity to broaden your Christian perspective, to cross-cultures and serve in a way that you can't at home among unreached peoples (particularly in Nepal).

We are to honor our parents, as the ten commandments command. However, Christ, in the New Testement, also said that if He calls us we need to be willing to leave even our parents. God called Abram to leave everything and everyone he knew in Genesis (of course he didn't leave everyone, taking Lot with him, as God commanded).

In this, honoring our parents and God, is your conundrum.If you were 18 and out of the house I'd be more bold yet. But since you aren't, it's a little trickier, yes.
JeN

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:40 am Post subject: Re: please help me! Albania Reply with quote

Thanks Pawl,
Its really good to know that someone out there cares!

As I said (i think) the main issue is the safety of the country. I think im gonna let my dad meet members of the team that have been 3 times before and let him see photos and stuff.Other than that I think I'll just bore god out of his mind with my constant prayer.

Anyone else ever been in a situation like this? Alot of my friends who have christian families are able to make anything happen just by saying " I feel its what God wants me to do" but because my rents are not christians I am scared to be honest of coming out with something like that although it may get me possible good results. I dont want them to feel thati dont honor what they say but at the same time i dont want to distance myself from them by saying that there stopping Gods will.

Im going to stop now cuz Im really not making any sense!

thanks again ! and please pray.

god blessxx

jenx
Pawl

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:59 pm Post subject: Re: safety Reply with quote

As a Christian, safety is not a matter of geography.
JeN

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:17 pm Post subject: confuzzled!!!!! Reply with quote

yeah

i suppose thats true. but what do i say when my rents are not christians?
its all to confusing!
Pawl

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:00 pm Post subject: Re: confuzzled!!!!! Reply with quote

That is more complicated, yes. I posted that last message to be of encouragement, knowing that your non-Christian parents probably wouldn\'t sympathize with the idea of our Sovereign God\'s ability to take us home at any time and place, that such is in His hands.

There might be some statistics which elude to the danger of car accidents in comparison to tourists murdered, or something like that. That could still persuede them, perhaps, that safety is not a matter of geography.

So is \"rents\" how you refer to parents in England? It took me a minute to figure it out:) Over in the states, at least in the midwest, we make the word longer and say \"parentals.\"
jen

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:40 am Post subject: Re: confuzzled!!!!! Reply with quote

thanks!
yeah we tend to say rents if were being informal but the older generation still dont seem to understand! ive got to go to college now so will write back when i get home!
thanks againg 4 taking an intrest! jen
Pawl

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:14 pm Post subject: I found the brochure page! Reply with quote

Jen,

Here are those brochures I mentioned earlier, as .pdf's,

http://www.calebproject.org/main.php/news_and_interactive/mission_issues_brochures
LISA

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:18 pm Post subject: Re: please help me! Reply with quote

You should follow what God wants you to do, not what your parents beliefs or opinions are. Only your Father in heaven knows you and knows whats better for you than your parents, which by the way ARE little children who don't know whats best for them either compared to our Gods awesome wisdom! Good Luck-your friend in Jesus Christ Lisa_metra@yahoo.com
Pawl

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:08 pm Post subject: Other missionary answer websites: Reply with quote

Other missionary answer websites:

http://www.urbana.org/ns.aj.main.cfm?Category=Parents

www.askamissionary.com/aammain.htm

Some Q/A on missions concer with rents on these sites too.
Big Timmy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:46 pm Post subject: Re: please help me! Reply with quote

Hey Jen,

I am from the United States and have led mission trips to Mexico and New York City. I can certainly feel for what you are going through with your parents.

My thought is that missions are typically caught and no taught. Maybe if you tried working some local misssions around you your parents might see the passion that God has given you for missions. At that point, maybe they will think about Jesus without it being thrown in their face. Maybe they would even get involved with you in the local mission work and allow you to go "ON MISSION" in Nepal.

My wife and I will certainly pray for your situation.

I truly hope that this will work out for you and that you can carry out the great commission!

Big T
Anna

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:53 pm Post subject: Re: please help me! Reply with quote

Take your desire to go to Lord Jesus and don't worry about convincing your parents. If He wants you to go He is more than able to open all the necessary doors including changing your parents' mind. Remember that honoring your parents is one of the commandments. If Jesus does not open the door for you to go at this time, then your opportunity to serve Him will be to honor your parents. If they don't l;et you go and you accept their decision with grace, what a testimony it will be to them! Remember, without faith it is impossible to please Him!
JeN

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:07 am Post subject: UPDATE! Reply with quote

hi guys. sorry ive not replyed 4 a long time. ive been revising for my exams. 11 of them! ahhh.! lol. anyway there have been some development in the situation, i\'ll explain all..........

1) I have made great improvements with my parents. they\'re coming round 2 the idea infact my dad agrees to it.

2) the team leader\'s husband is i\'ll. he has kindney problems that are ongoing. this threatens to stop the trip but ive been praying it wont( and would appreciate any prayers from u guys)

thats about it really. ahh well better get back to my revision.zzzzzzzzzzz!

thanks fo all your help. talk soon jen
skiflake

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I was in basically the exact same situation as you about a year ago. My mom isnt a Christian, and is even against missions. So I completely understand how difficult and stressful this is for you. My biggest advice is to keep praying, and I will definitely pray for you! I found that with my mom the best way to get through to her was to be really patient, answer all the questions she had completely honestly, and try to make her understand WHY it was important to go and how missions are good even if you arent a Christian (helping people find hope in something other than themselves, that we arent 'pushing religion on them/we are just giving them an option, that we are helping them with secular issues--finding jobs, teaching english, providing medical care or whatever else you plan to do), and of course let them know that YOU are completely mature enough to go and will be safe. Hope this is helpful.
Your Sis in Christ,
Nat
shadbhai

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:18 am Post subject: Want to become a Christian! Reply with quote

I want become a christian, Thats why I want relocate from my country to any euorepian or American country or south africa.
Please help me for this great work.