sharing
Menu
full details on short-term mission trips (1wk to 3yrs)
DISCUSSION 
FAQFAQ SearchSearch ProfileProfile Log inLog in RegisterRegister      

« View previous topic | View next topic »
sarge185

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:21 pm Post subject: new to missions / missions + full time RV life? Reply with quote

I am eligible to retire next year from 20 years in law enforcement. My wife of 21 years is already a "missions-oriented person" and has been on trips to Haiti and Nicaragua. I am new to the idea of missionary work and I am warming, over time, to the idea (continental USA only). My friend and pastor has really challenged me, over time, to start reaching out to others. My job has tended to make me want to withdraw instead. My wife and I have been discussing the idea of selling our home and living full time in a fifth-wheel camper, traveling around the country. We just would love to see it, especially the western United States. I am interested to hear from you "veteran" mission workers about whether or not full time RV living can mesh well with active mission work. It seems to me that in most mission scenarios, people stay and live in a group for the duration in a predetermined housing and food arrangement which must be paid for. I envision living and eating in my RV at any nearby campground or park, and then going daily to the mission site to work in manual labor or whatever. By doing that, we could possibly cultivate interest in the hearts of other campground residents, full time and otherwise. There is a whole community of full time RV-living people out there. After a time, we could then move on to another location for other mission work. I fear we would not have a lot of financial resources to "buy-in" to a trip every couple of months, but we would also not need our housing and food supplied to us. We'd just be available as "bodies" to be put to use. Any ideas or feedback? Is this feasible? Any specific mission organizations that would work well with this lifestyle?
watchman12

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:48 pm Post subject: rv living and missions Reply with quote

Hi Sarge, Grace to You...

You have a great idea. There are probably Christian RV clubs out there but if there isn't ...you should start one. You and your wife can arm yourselves with trax, Bibles, uplifting short books by authors like Max Lucado, john mccarthur ....etc.. work in soup kitchens, rescue missions or local supermarkets and be Christ's witnesses no matter where you go. Like johnny appleseed....traveled and planted seeds everywhere he went...you and your wife could do the same...except you'd be planting seeds of life...everlasting life...everywhere you go. It isn't good to be a lone ranger though, you should have some sort of covering, prayer network, Bible study, or church type group that helps to keep you grounded in the faith.
May the Lord be with you and bless your paths,
In His service,
Watchman12
Missionbus

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:33 pm Post subject: Missionbus says yes Reply with quote

God's word calls us to love everyone everywhere....and the Spirit bends us each for His purpose. If He calls you to sell everything and hit the road...He can use you.

see http://www.missionbus.com

Family of nine on mission full-time in USA on the road.

Marc
Tuckster

Post Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:08 am Post subject: Question for Sarge Reply with quote

Any updates on your idea ?? I have the same thoughts as you.