Menu
full details on short-term mission trips (1wk to 3yrs)
DISCUSSION 
FAQFAQ SearchSearch ProfileProfile Log inLog in RegisterRegister      

« View previous topic | View next topic »
Steve

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:25 pm Post subject: You don\'t get culture shock from short-term missions Reply with quote

I have lived in China and am a now a missionary in Brazil. Most of the discussion here is about culture shock as experienced by the short-term missionary volunteer. These trips range from a week to a month, usually. In this time, there is certainly a need for flexibility and adjustment, but this is not what culture shock is. Culture shock is something that occurs between three months and a year, usually 8 months. The shock is from the reality of changing cultures and becoming a part of another culture, not from becoming a guest.

Arriving in a foreign country and becoming frustrated at cold water showers, hard beds, misunderstood appointments times, and communication problems is not culture shock. It is just unexpected. People become irritable at the unexpected and loss of control. This happens a lot on short-term mission trips, but it is not culture shock.

God bless each of you who participate in these short-term trips. Remember you are there to learn and to server. Do not let your ego grow because you went to a foreign country or bought medicine for a poor person, nor because you withstood 2 weeks without food that you can eat comfortably. That is the devil's perfect plan for you. He has a big ego too.
Heidi

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:29 pm Post subject: Re: You don't get culture shock from short-term missions Reply with quote

Hi,

I just thought I'd point out that short term missions can be defined as as long as two years. In a two year time span you're much more likely to get culture shock. But even if you don't go for more than a month it can be very beneficial for someone to learn about a different culture, not only so you do feel more comfortable and understand what is going on, but also so that you don't offend others from that culture. Of course those who go for a week don't expect to get culture shock, although there is plenty of shock, but it is necessary to learn in order to better fit in and be used for the short time that one is there.

God Bless,
Heidi
Tim

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:46 pm Post subject: sin nature easily revealed Reply with quote

Point well taken : )

It seems that most of the shock is when our sin nature comes out due to unexpected difficulties, ......or expected for that matter : )

....kind of like a test to see if you're really going to respond in a Christlike manner or not.

Your right, the enemy would love to have us in a habit of responding the way he does rather than how Christ would.
Big T

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:13 pm Post subject: Re: You don't get culture shock from short-term missions Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm..........................................
Morolica

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:38 pm Post subject: Re: You don\'t get culture shock from short-term missions Reply with quote

"Arriving in a foreign country and becoming frustrated at cold water showers, hard beds, misunderstood appointments times, and communication problems is not culture shock. It is just unexpected. People become irritable at the unexpected and loss of control. This happens a lot on short-term mission trips, but it is not culture shock."

Sounds like short-termers are shocked by the new culture they find themselves in to me. Not lasting, but shock all the same. It is a big topic right now with good reason. Almost every team I have been on or led has had at least one person suffer with it. We even had to send someone home once. It's a lot more than just irritability at the loss of control and unexpected things. I have seen some who don't deal well with the poverty or living conditions, even after being prepared for it in the US.

I'm curious as to where you got your information as to when culture shock sets in. I've not encountered those numbers before in any training materials that I have used.

J